Whenever and wherever possible, I always try to sample the local food and will seek out street food as this is consistently the best tasting food available. But sometime, I arrive at an unsociable hour and/or I just crave the simplicity of room service. The @ZombifiedPixie’s Club Sandwich Index is something that has grown organically and unintentionally. This index is something that I have often joked about compiling … until today.
In my opinion, the best HOTEL club sandwich is from The Kempinski Khan Palace in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
I had these before (as well as after) visiting rural, rustic western Mongolia. Thus, it cannot be said that the club sandwiches had an unfair advantage of being a delicious alternative after a week of eating nothing but muttons and potatoes.
The worst hotel club sandwich is from The W Hotel, Union Square, NYC. I was jet lagged, tired, and hungry and would almost eat anything — except for the fries that accompanied the room service club sandwich. The sandwich itself was fine, but, the fries were embarrassingly bad. They were cold, wimpy and limpy, and covered with oily parmesan cheese. These were obviously fried hours ago and left under a hot lamp to wilt. If I wasn’t too tired, I would have called hotel management to complain (but I gave feedback in my post trip email survey).
Other hotel club sandwiches considered:
- The Meridan, New Delhi, India
- The Westin, Bangkok, Thailand
- Swissotel, Istanbul, Turkey
- Swissotel, Gocek, Turkey
- Amanjiwo, Borobudur, Indonesia
- The Sheraton Park Lane, Green Park, London
- The Intercontinental, New Delhi, India
- The Intercontinental, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra, Cambodia
- The Sheraton, Saigon, Vietnam
- Queen’s Hotel, Kandy, Sri Lanka